- If you are positive the extinguisher is completely empty, remove the head and recycle the body. The tank of a fire extinguisher is made of highly-recyclable steel, while the spraying mechanism contains brass and plastic.
- If it still contains chemicals, either call your fire department (you might be able to exchange the unit or get it recharged) or take it to a household hazardous waste event. Since the contents are under pressure, it could explode if sent out with your regular waste.
- Different fire extinguishers work to remove the different ingredients of fire: Water extinguishers remove heat while carbon dioxide and dry chemicals remove oxygen. Make sure you know what type you have so you know what refill options apply to you.
New Changes to the Ontario Fire Protection & Prevention Act.
Monday June 3rd, 2013,
- Changes to fire code have been mandated giving fire inspectors more authority on getting deficiencies completed. If you decline to be pro-active, fire inspectors can know charge owners, read more
Mon Aug 4th, 2012.
- Redi Fire Prevention is under new ownership, read more